Construction Insider Logo

Construction Insider

Get Access to the Construction Insider Magazine, Saint Sunday and Exclusive tips & tricks to scale your business.

You're all set!

Thank you for subscribing to the No.1 Construction magazine for construction businesses.

Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form. Please check your email and try again

We Use Cookies! Learn More

Sounds Good!
Certifications for the Construction Industry
Construction Insider logo

Certifications for the Construction Industry

Day / Night Icon
Construction Insider - Arrow Left
Back to the Toolbox

A great way to show your dedication to your trade is to qualify & gain certifications that prove your commitment and skill. Certificates and accreditations are a great way of instantly forming trust with people who are interested in your services and it makes you stand out from your competitors.

There are a variety of certificates that you can achieve, but you should try and get those that are most relative to your business.


The Construction Skill Certificate Scheme is a card of proof that individuals on construction sites have the appropriate training and qualifications in order to perform the job. The CSCS is administered by the Industry Training Board (CITB). More and more contractors are applying for these cards and in some places, workers must hold a valid CSCS card.

The CSCS card is not compulsory nor a legislative requirement, it is entirely up to the principal contractor or client whether workers are required to hold a card before they are permitted on site. It is important to note that most major companies require construction workers to hold a valid CSCS card.

For more information on how to apply for a CSCS card, visit here.


BSI, also known as British Standards Institution, is the national standard body of the United Kingdom. The BSI is responsible for a variety of standards that spread across multiple industry sectors. Its codes of practice and specifications cover management and technical subjects from business continuity management to quality requirements. The BSI administration “Kitemark” is the licencing relating to a very wide range of goods, materials and systems used in all areas of the construction industry.

The Kitemark logo is frequently used to identify products where safety is a priority. This would include equipment such as crash helmets, smoke alarms and flood defences.


CHAS is the UK’s leading provider of risk prevention and compliance, CHAS was formed in 1997 and the goal is to help improve health and safety standards throughout the industry. You can view their accreditation packages here. They provide 3 different tiers to their packages, all covering different aspects such as health & safety to Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR).

Construction Line

Construction Line is a register for pre-qualified contractors and consultants used by the construction industry within the United Kingdom. Construction Line provides a series of memberships which makes it easy for contractors to optimise performance, minimise risk and realise opportunities.


Trustmark is a government-sponsored quality certification scheme for the entirety of the construction industry. It covers many different areas and aims to help consumers find reliable and trustworthy contractors. To become a part you must meet a set of criteria. You can find out more details about the trademark here.

Gas Safety Certificate

By law, all gas businesses and their engineers must be on the Gas Safe Register to work legally on gas equipment. The Gas Safe Register is the only official gas registration body and covers the entirety of the United Kingdom, including Isle of Man & Guernsey.

Safe Contractor (SIPP & PAS91)

Safe Contractor allows businesses to get SSIP & PAS91 accredited and ensure that they meet the necessary requirements around health and safety, equal opportunities, diversity and environmental management practice. Safe Contractor allows businesses to demonstrate a high level of safety throughout the work, which will not only benefit you as a contractor but also the clients you carry out the work for.

Trade Association Membership

The Trade Association Membership is a non for profit organisation made up of a collection of companies within the same industry, this allows trade associations to have a “voice” and speak up on behalf of their members to the Government regarding regulators, laws and so on. Many trade associations have a code of conduct and minimum standards for their members. You will be able to display their logo to demonstrate your commitment to quality.

Here are some other reputable associations that might be beneficial:

- The Guild of Master Craftsmen (GMC)

- The Federation of Master Builders (FMB)

There is also Chartered Bodies such as:

- The Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB)

- The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS)

- Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers (CIBSE)

Frequently asked questions

Construction Yellow Tag
This Article was included in:

This article has been provided for information purposes only. You should consult your own professional advisors for advice directly relating to your business or before taking action in relation to any of the provided content.

PS. Whenever you are ready, here's how to grow your construction business...

1. Join our Facebook Group which built completely for businesses within the construction industry. Real people, real support. - Now also available on LinkedIn.

2. Keep up to date with Construction Insider Providing you with industry insight, tips & tricks and much more to make sure you are ahead of your competitors!

3. When you are ready, Become a Saint Financial Group client, and we will provide you with the highest quality solutions to effectively scale your construction business. Book your meeting here!

Certifications for the Construction Industry

Written by the team at:

Construction Insider

Got a question? Ask us here 😉
Construction Insider Logo

Grab Your FREE Copy Here!

The Construction Survival Guide

The only book you need to start up your construction business! The CSG becomes your new handbook offering everything that you need in order to create a successful construction business!

Claim Mine!Claim Mine!
Saint Accountancy
The Saints Dashboard
Advertise with us

How To Grow Your

🚧 Construction Businesses 🚧

Get Started With Saint

Construction Insider

Ultimate A - Z Construction Business Expense Guide

Get the most out of your business with the complete guide of business expenses - what claims are allowable and disallowable - Find out now!

Next Article