Construction Insider Logo

Construction Insider

Get Access to the Construction Insider Magazine, Saint Sunday and Exclusive tips & tricks to scale your business.

You're all set!

Thank you for subscribing to the No.1 Construction magazine for construction businesses.

Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form. Please check your email and try again

We Use Cookies! Learn More

Sounds Good!
How To Offset CIS Against Taxes or Payment Into Your Account
Construction Insider logo

How To Offset CIS Against Taxes or Payment Into Your Account

Day / Night Icon
Construction Insider - Arrow Left
Back to the Toolbox

How To Offset CIS Against Taxes or Payment Into Your Account

You are able to offset your CIS refund against your other tax bills such as Corporation Tax, PAYE, National Insurance. If you are typically receiving large refunds from HMRC, we highly recommend going gross status for CIS as this will massively increase your cashflow. This will stop you from paying your taxes in advance and only when it is due.

How To Offset CIS At The End Of The Tax Year

If you log into your HMRC Online Account, you will be able to complete the form to claim any CIS deductions.

If you prefer you can send HMRC a letter (and sometimes better results - use recorded delivery) for CIS repayment. You don’t have to include any calculations (it would help for clarification) however if the claim does not match HMRC records they will request further information. This can cause weeks of delay for your tax refund so ensure the figures are correct.

The letter to HMRC will have to include:

• The company name

• The PAYE reference number

• The amount reclaimed.

The address to send for HMRC CIS is:


National Insurance Contributions and Employer Office

HM Revenue & Customs


If the claim is for a refund into your bank account:

• Bank account number

• Sort Code

• Bank account holders name

• Write ‘repay CIS into the bank account above’

If you would like to offset against your VAT:

• VAT registration number:

• VAT return period

• Write ‘offset CIS repayment against VAT’

If you would like to offset against your Corporation Tax:

• The company UTR (Unique Reference Number)

• The accounting period to offset the CIS against

• Write ‘offset CIS repayment against corporation tax’

If you need any support in offsetting your CIS, reach out to us and we would be more than happy in supporting your construction business. If you are a subcontractor with large yearly repayments we would highly recommend going gross payments. Stop paying your taxes in advance! 

For more information take a look at our CIS Resource Hub here.

Frequently asked questions

Construction Yellow Tag
This Article was included in:

This article has been provided for information purposes only. You should consult your own professional advisors for advice directly relating to your business or before taking action in relation to any of the provided content.

PS. Whenever you are ready, here's how to grow your construction business...

1. Join our Facebook Group which built completely for businesses within the construction industry. Real people, real support. - Now also available on LinkedIn.

2. Keep up to date with Construction Insider Providing you with industry insight, tips & tricks and much more to make sure you are ahead of your competitors!

3. When you are ready, Become a Saint Financial Group client, and we will provide you with the highest quality solutions to effectively scale your construction business. Book your meeting here!

How To Offset CIS Against Taxes or Payment Into Your Account

Written by the team at:

Saint Accountants

Got a question? Ask us here 😉
Construction Insider Logo

Grab Your FREE Copy Here!

A Contractors Guide To: CIS (Construction Industry Scheme)

The CIS is a scheme that affects all construction businesses - This guide tells you everything you need to know when it comes to CIS.

Claim Mine!Claim Mine!
Saint Accountancy
The Saints Dashboard
Advertise with us

How To Grow Your

🚧 Construction Businesses 🚧

Get Started With Saint

Construction Insider

£20 Million In New Grants That Can Boost The Recovery Of Your Business

Don’t miss out! The Government is going to introduce £20m of funding to help the recovery of smaller businesses from the COVID-10 pandemic. The grant schemes will be open from Tuesday 15th September 2020 at midday.

Next Article