Why You Need A Government Gateway Account for Your Business
As you are running your construction business the compliance side of running a limited company (or your personal tax!) might be left behind… It is essential that you have access to your own Government Gateway Account and the good news is that it is very simple to set up!
All you need to do to set up a Government Gateway account is type in “Government Gateway Account set up” into google or click here.
However, continue reading and we walk you through what you will need and why you need to have a Government Gateway Account for your business.
What Do You Need To Make A Government Gateway Account?
All you will need is your name, email address, password and a memorable word. Done!
Once you have created your account you will be able to login and add the relevant taxes to your account i.e Corporation Tax, PAYE, CIS, VAT and even your personal self-assessment. Here you will need certain information to add the taxes i.e. Corporation UTR number, PAYE Accounts Office Number, VAT number etc
Once you have added the relevant taxes, this now becomes your central online account for keeping up to date with your HMRC compliance.
Government Gateway Account step by step:
1. Go to the Register for HMRC taxes page, select the appropriate option, and then click the “next” button to go through the pages.
2. On the final page, select “Create an account for me”.
3. Enter your details to create your Government Gateway ID. Keep your user ID and password in a safe place as you’ll need to refer to them regularly.
4. On the sign in page, enter your Government Gateway details.
5. Once logged in, scroll down to the “Get another tax, duty or scheme” section of the page and click the button underneath this.
What Are The Benefits of Having Your Own Gateway Account?
- Your Gateway Account is your personal HMRC account only, your accountant will have their own Agent Account so you won't need to give out these details. When giving authorisation to your Accountant, a government gateway account can be used to speed up the process as it is all online compared to waiting for HMRC to send out letters
- You will have access to your Company’s taxes, view submissions and see if there are any upcoming payments on your account. You can compare the submissions made by your Accountant (or yourself) to ensure HMRC have received the correct information and your latest payments.
- Your Accountants agent access does not grant them access to everything so sometimes you will need your Government Gateway Account to update key information such as your bank details or access to old submissions or payments
- Everything you need is in one place, from your business tax to your personal tax, making it easier for you to manage your responsibilities as a Director of a limited company.
Frequently asked questions
This article has been provided for information purposes only. You should consult your own professional advisors for advice directly relating to your business or before taking action in relation to any of the provided content.
PS. Whenever you are ready, here's how to grow your construction business...
1. Join our Facebook Group which built completely for businesses within the construction industry. Real people, real support. - Now also available on LinkedIn.
2. Keep up to date with Construction Insider Providing you with industry insight, tips & tricks and much more to make sure you are ahead of your competitors!
3. When you are ready, Become a Saint Financial Group client, and we will provide you with the highest quality solutions to effectively scale your construction business. Book your meeting here!
Written by the team at: